Relax with Beautiful Bath Salts
Whether you’re making a special present for someone else, experimenting at home or just want to relax in a hot bath, give this experiment a go. Create your own bath salts with a variety of refreshing fragrances, experiment with different essential oils to see which you like best.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup of washing soda
- A plastic bag
- A rolling pin (or something similar that can crush lumps)
- A bowl
- A spoon for stirring
- Essential oil
- Food coloring
- Take the cup of washing soda and put it into a plastic bag. Crush the lumps with a rolling pin or similar object.
- Empty the bag into a bowl and stir in 5 or 6 drops of your favorite essential oil such as rosemary, lavender or mint.
- Stir in a few drops of food coloring until the mixture is evenly colored.
- Put the mixture into clean dry containers and enjoy as you please.
Bath Salts are typically made from Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), table salt (sodium chloride) or washing soda (sodium carbonate). The chemical make up of the mixture makes it easy to form a lather. Bath salts are said to improve cleaning and deliver an appealing fragrance when bathing.
To hear about some other experiments, go to http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/experiments.html